Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thank Gawd for Spyware Doctor!!!!!

You wouldn't believe what I've gone through in the past week. I have spent the last week going crazy with the most aggravating and annoying virus ever known !! That sucker just would not go away! I stupidly downloaded an application from some list or traffic exchange or other. actually, I think it was from a solo ad from some safelist.. for something called Zangdo. The page said it was a "get paid to" type program..something along the lines of Treasure Trooper or Cash Crate, etc.. and it sounded like a pretty good program, and I'm always signing up for crap just to kick the tires and see what it is, so I went ahead and signed up I should have known something was up when the page said it was 100% spyware and adware free..like, come on..it's safe..you can download me.. YEAH, RIGHT! Well, I downloaded it and waited for the usual welcome email so that I could verify my account, etc, and it never came. Next thing I knew, this program had taken over my browser..the stupid thing was a particularly virulent browser hijacker that would redirect my page to ads and give me these annoying popups every time I tried to go anywhere online. It only affected certain pages, which was kinda weird...like Ebay and Netwinner and Gather.

I have Avast and AVG on my system and neither of them caught it..so I went searching for something that would remove it. I only found one website ANYWHERE that had any information about this Zangdo virus and it had many, many people posting to request help in removing it. They recommended downloading about 15 different programs and running them all..AVG, Avast, Kapersky's, Panda Virus, Superspyware something or other, Ad-Aware..a whole long list of them.. and detailed multiple other steps for people to try. I was desparate, so I downloaded them all and ran them and NOTHING found this dang program.. they all found a ton of cookies and adtrackers though..dangerous stuff! Needless to say, they were all a complete waste of time.

My roomie suggested I try something called SpyNoMore, because he said he had the same type of thing on his system and that had worked for him, but it was 30.00..I don't have 30.00 at the moment, payday ain't til Friday and I just paid my rent..and I'm not about to pay 30.00 for something that MIGHT work, after everything else I tried. Then I found a copy of Spyware Doctor ..let's just say not through your regular retail type channels..it was more of an acquisition than a purchase..but I installed it and ran it and wooohooo IT WORKED!! All I can say is Thank GAWD for Spyware Doctor, because I was getting ready to say screw it and reformat my computer. That wouldn't have been a major tragedy, because I have a 300 gig external drive, so I could back everything up and not lose anything, but I really, really hate having to go through reinstalling all my crap. Now I don't have to worry and I can get back to my normal surfing habits. YAAAAY.

If you ever see anything called Zangdo..or anyone sends you an invite to join..DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.. and tell all your friends too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the post, i hate spyware. I thinks i have some on my pc right now it's hard to get rid of.