Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Vanity Googling.. or The Importance of Signature lines

Trying to get traffic to your website or blog is a very time-consuming process. Especially if you have a low, or even no, budget to work with and can't afford to buy hits or place paid ads. It's important to research and find the things that work, and in researching traffic generation you will, most likely, hear the same things repeated over and over. This is because, they work! It's not necessary to reinvent the wheel. Although finding new and different ways to promote is a good thing, especially when you find something that really works, you can learn from those who are successful at bringing traffic to their sites.

One of these tips you, undoubtedly, have heard repeatedly is the importance of a good signature line. Put your referral urls, your blog address, anything you need to promote in a signature file and attach it to everything you post, anywhere on tbe internet. I spend a lot of time on Gather , commenting and posting and pretty much wasting valuable time I could be spending earning money or, generally, trying to have an actual life. The other day, I published an article on rebate processor job scamsm and one of the commenters on it told me she found my article through Googling for information about rebate processor jobs, and that I was 3rd on the page under the search. Up to that point, I never even thought about stuff I write on Gather being indexed and searchable on Google, but, apparently, it is. Who knew!
I never put signature lines on my articles there, but from now on I will.

I then, out of curiousity, decided to vanity Google myself and see what came up. Well, 1050 pages of me came up under one nic, and 3200 under another. Not all of it was me, there are a couple of other people with the same nickname, but it was probably more than 90% me. That's 4250 chances of someone coming upon something I posted somewhere and seeing what I wrote, and thus seeing my signature file and whatever I'm trying to promote, clicking on it and joining up or buying something. The only problem with signature files is, if you change programs, move your site, or for some reason the information you post becomes outdated, then the signature files stop being effective. That's why you should use a good ad tracker if you can. Trafficwave.net has a great program and tons of features that will help you promote and grow your business or blog, and one of those features is an ad tracker that will let you change your ads from within Trafficwave, and anywhere you posted that signature line you're tracking it will change and be updated. How's that for a nifty little trick! So, if you don't already have one, get yourself a good signature line and use it whenever and wherever possible. Just be sure that wherever you're posting to allows them, because some forums and groups don't allow you to use them.

Some general rules of signature lines:
1. They should be no longer than 4 lines, 5 tops.
2. They should contain fewer than 80 characters per line.
3. They should also be plain text only — no HTML, no images. (well, that's a matter of choice, but the "rules" say that generally a good business or promotional signature should be just text).

So, that's the tip for today. Hope it helps :O)

Suze
Create a Traffic wave today!

No comments: